JP Cullen is a Wisconsin-based $700 million plus, 131-year-old, 5th generation family-owned construction management firm, and we’re seeking a Director of Preconstruction for our Milwaukee office. We specialize in the “Tough Jobs” no one else can do. JP Cullen’s projects are high-profile, and our clients have high expectations – and we strive to deliver through high-quality people!
Our Mission: To identify, hire, train, and retain the best people to serve our customers.
Our Need: A proven leader who has a keen technical knowledge of the preconstruction process, construction estimating skills, and a hard-charging drive to succeed.
The Director of Preconstruction reports directly to the Divisional Vice President and is a member of the Preconstruction and Estimating Group. This position has significant responsibility for influencing JP Cullen’s work backlog, revenue and profitability, and overall company success. The Director of Preconstruction oversees the Milwaukee Division’s preconstruction and estimating team, identifies opportunities to procure new work, and executes strategies to win. This position also collaborates with other Division Directors to create, execute, and maintain JP Cullen’s preconstruction and estimating procedures.
Success is determined by your ability to grow and develop our preconstruction team members, identify work opportunities, build and execute strategies to win work, produce high-quality preconstruction services for our clients, maintain estimating procedures, and produce high-quality budgets and estimates.
- Evaluate bid opportunities to make recommendations to the Vice President.
- Determine strategies, techniques, accuracy, completion, etc. for bids.
- Lead the preconstruction phase of negotiated projects.
- Review owner contracts and develop strategies to mitigate project risks.
- Contact subcontractors and suppliers during the bidding process, verify scope, and perform general coordination.
- Oversee the negotiation of subcontracts and purchase agreements.
- Ensure that corporate cost control standards are implemented properly.
- Review final estimates before formal quotation and presentation.
- Ensure software, systems, databases, and processes are implemented and maintained.
- Collaborate with marketing on presentations and sales pursuits as required.
- Develop relationships with clients, subcontractors, and suppliers.
- Schedule estimating resources and coordinate with other department leaders to ensure efficient utilization of estimating personnel.
- Provide input on recruiting, hiring, promoting, and staffing.
- Mentor and train preconstruction and estimating staff for personal and professional growth.
The following experiences and qualifications are recommended, but are not a requirement:
- Four-year college degree related to construction or engineering or completion of an apprenticeship with at least nine or more years of experience in a construction-related position and at least six years of experience in estimating.
- Experience in a leadership position with successful, demonstrated results.
- Proficient at quantity take-offs consisting of concrete, steel, masonry, or carpentry.
- Must possess superior communication and interpersonal (facilitation, diplomacy, influence, etc.) skills.
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume to HR@JPCullen.com for consideration.
Compensation & Benefits:
JP Cullen commits to its community, employees, and employees’ families. We offer outstanding benefits — Health, Life, and Dental Insurance, Competitive Salary and Bonus Structure, Profit Sharing, PTO, Holiday Pay, Employee Assistance, and Training.
JP Cullen is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action (EEO/AA) Employer. We promote diversity by proactively recruiting, hiring, and promoting women, minorities, disabled individuals, and veterans. JP Cullen provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.