The Fortress Apartments & Office Space
In 1897, the Milwaukee Soldiers Home opened on a 90-plus acre district, making it one of the three original soldier homes in the entire country. The 90-plus acre district is a collection of 25 historic buildings on the grounds of the Clement J. Zablocki Veterans Administration Medical Center. By 1895, Milwaukee Soldiers’ Home had 2,421 residents.
Over the years, these buildings were abandoned and have aged. The site was declared a National Historic Landmark by the National Park Service in 2011 and was added to the National Trust Most Endangered Historic Places. This gave it the attention it needed to kick-start the restoration.
As part of an Enhanced Use Lease Agreement with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), the six buildings on the Civil War-era Milwaukee property was restored and rehabilitated into an estimated 100 housing units for veterans and their families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless.
The $40 million project protected historic architecture and brought back to life these buildings that were places of refuge and healing for so many. We are so excited and honored to have been a part of this project that brings accessibility of these beautiful and powerful buildings to vets and soldiers in need.